Wednesday, August 4, 2010

Live Free or Die!

Day: 131 (August 3)
Starting location: West Hartford, VT
Ending location: Hanover, NH
State: NH
Miles today: 9.8
Miles total: 1,737.3

We had a great nights rest in Steves backyard. Before we left town we stopped in the general store for breakfast. I had the "full belly breakfast" and let me tell you, it lived up to it's name.

The trail was nice and gradual between West Harford and Hanover which allowed us to make good time. Our destination for the day was Hanover, NH, the first town in the state of New Hampshire. Hanover is home to Dartmouth College. The Connecticut River serves as the state line and it made me a bit sad to know we would only have one more state line to cross on our journey.

Our first stop in Hanover was the post office where we knew we had a few packages waiting for us. Jason mentioned a few days ago that we would be getting our winter gear back before we head into the White Mountains. Hanover is the last major stop before we hit the Whites so we agreed to have our gear sent here. We left the post office with 6 packages (2 food boxes, 3 gear boxes and a box of brownies from Shanna, Jeff, Jackson and Bridget-- thanks guys!). We were then off to the Sunset Motor Lodge, sounds romantic huh? Our main reason for staying there is that they have free breakfast and free laundry, what else could a hiker need?

We spent the afternoon getting all our gear organized and eating pizza of course :).




Glad to have my winter back. I did receive a few strange looks because of the warm August temperatures. Hey, I am from Florida!


Conan + Backwards

3 comments:

Kristen Miner said...

Normally I check Google Reader when I am up with Logan in the morning, so I have this really bad habit of never commenting. Here are some thoughts and FAQ's I have been meaning to ask for a while.

When you did listen to your ipod, how would you charge it? Are there solar power converters that small? And how would you both listen to it without carrying heavy speakers?

Do you share one sleeping bag? Oh la la!

What has been your favorite state so far?

Why are you slowing down at this comes to an end? You were doing so many miles and it seems like the miles are cut in half now. Either way you guys rock. I read a post that Jason said you purposely were slowing down.

What is your favorite topic to discuss on the trail?

So sorry to hear KB was sick not too long ago. Oddly enough we got a stomach flu during that same time too. Not the same disease though.

Hope you both as still having a blast. I know I do not always comment but I do always read every post.

Hugs! KF

Erika said...

HELLO HELLO! As always, I'm so very proud to be able to call you guys my friends. It continues to be one of the highlights of my day to check google reader and have a new post from you guys.

One more state, oh my gosh, I can't even imagine the mix of emotions right now.

As was mentioned above, I too would love an explanation as to why you guys have cut miles. I know it's for a great reason, but I would love to know why.

Thanks again for sharing your journey wish us!

Whizzy - I would love to discuss this little hike of your over a cheap bottle of Chardonnay, preferably in the back of a conversion van.

Lauren said...

I was also curious why you were slowing down...I didn't even think to ask the last time we talked. Maybe because the parents are meeting you at the end? Even if you have a reason, I say you should enjoy these days off from "corporate" work! I noticed the mountaindew and EL Fudge cookies in that cart...my favorite! What else do you get? Miss you guys! Keep it up! Love, Passa