Monday, September 6, 2010

Ford The River

Day: 164 (September 5)
Starting location: Moxie Pond
Ending location: Horseshoe Canyon Lean-to
State: ME
Miles today: 15.8
Miles total: 2,055.6

After a great stay at a Maine camp, we were back on the trail in the morning. Today we ran into Country. We hadn't seen Country since our third day on the trail in Neels Gap, Georgia. He explained to us that his name was now Country Gold because someone else was already given the name Country on the trail. Only on the trail could you have two people fighting over the name Country. I can just see it now, "I'm Country," "No I am Country." I think Country Gold fits him well since he was possibilty the most country person we met. I am talking about "Deliverance" country.

Today we had to ford our first river. Maine has little to no bridges on the trail which makes crossing rivers a real challenge. Normally Kristen and I can just jumb from rock to rock and manage our way to the other side. When we approached the Piscataquis River we knew there was no way we could cross the river without getting wet. After looking at each other for a few seconds we both knew what we had to do. We took off our boots, strapped them to the back of our packs, put on our crocs and forded the river. The river got up to our upper thighs and thankfully not any higher. I couldn't help to think about the Oregon Trail. I am so glad we didn't have to caulk the wagon and float it.



Just another day in the salt mines




Fording the river

Conan + Backwards

1 comment:

Sam said...

Hi!
My name's Sam (Ivy) - a fellow thru from the 2010 season. I don't think we ever met on the trail, but I had a question: I'm back at school now and writing my thesis on the design of a zero-waste bridge over the Piscataquis River, and I was wondering if I could use the photo of Backwards fording the river in the write-up (properly credited of course) ;-). Let me know! You can email me at sborchard@gmail.com

Thanks!