Monday, September 27, 2010

Jason's Reflections

As thru hikers of the Appalachian Trail, Kristen and I have entered into very exclusive group. People have asked, how hard was it? It put it simply, it is harder than you ever could image and is one of the hardest things I have ever done. It is certainly an amazing feat and is something I am very proud of. The trail was truly an amazing experience and is something that we will never forget. With all that being said, this trip was never about the trail, Katahdin, or reaching some goal. For Kristen and I it was much simpler than that. The trail was never the most important thing to us and was simply a means to an end. "So what was the point," as many people asked us. To many this trip goes against conventional wisdom. The trail in no way advanced us professionally, financially, or socially. But what this journey lacks, it certainly provides other things. This trip was about Kristen and I making memories together that we would remember for a lifetime. Kristen and I have spent more time together over the last six months than most couples spent in 10 years. We have done and seen things that are almost impossible to describe in the words. So where do I begin. Would you do it again? We always knew that this was going to be a once in a lifetime trip. We sacrificed a lot to go on this trip but have absolutely no regrets on what we have done. It truly was one of the smartest things I have ever done.

If there is anything that I would hope people got out of our trip is that it is okay to do the things that you want to do. People may feel that they can't do the things they want to do for a variety of different reasons. The truth is, if you want it bad enough there is always a way. Kristen and I were as ordinary as ordinary could be before this trip. We had a great lifes in Washington, DC but life will go on for us after this trip. You don't need to feel that you are being irresponsible or you are somehow affecting your whole life. This is all a bit over dramatic. I wouldn't be telling the truth if I said this trip didn't create some form of anxiety. We left everything behind, our jobs and our life. Yet at the end of the day, we refused to let fear or uncertainty rob us of memories of a lifetime. People will voice their opinions and call you crazy but people tend to be critical of things they do not understand. All that matters is that you know you are doing the right thing. To put it simply, besides the very closest people in your life it should never matter what other people think.

What can I say about my Backwards, my beautiful bride, and my amazing wife. In one blog post, I said I was so proud that she was my wife and why wouldn't I be. Hiking the AT was always a dream of hers. As her partner in life, I refused to deny her an opportunity to pursue her dream. "How have you not killed each other yet," people would ask. To be honest, it was always difficult to answer that question because we didn't really know the answer. We are simply best friends that enjoy each other's company.









Conan + Backwards

No comments: