Wednesday, March 31, 2010

An Unwanted Guest

Day: 6 (March 31)
Starting location: Blue Mt Shelter
Ending location: Deep Gap Shelter
Miles today: 15.3
Miles total: 64

I knew that it would eventually happen while we are out here on the trail. And last night was the night. Yes my friends we had our first encounter with a mouse. Or should I say mice. To be honest I am not sure, all I know is that as Jason and I were falling asleep a little mouse scurried across the top of our tent. I was a little scared at first, I mean who wants mice scurring around you, but we both knew that we were safe in our tent and our food was hung on bear cables away from us. That was until Jason realized he had peanuts in his pack! So after a quick rehang of the bear bag we were able to fall asleep with our sleeping bags zipped together.

Today was a long, tough day of hiking. We had 3 separate 1,000 foot climbs which were Rocky Mt., Tray Mt. and finally Kelly Knob. My knees were really killing me on the downhills.

We got to the shelter tonight around 6 and were with a great group of folks including Snickers, Dry Clean and Daytripper. We are all catching a shuttle into Hiawassee tommorrow morning. I think we are leaning toward taking a zero day on Friday and heading up to Franklin for the big Hiker party. Even on the trail, I can never turn down a party!



Me on tray mt.




Hanging out after dinner, notice Dry Clean with the turned down suspenders and the fedora.

Jason + Kristen

2 comments:

mary caroline said...

do you have trail names yet?? just wondering. You've gotta keep up with Dry Cleaning's stylin' and profilin'

Love y'all!! And Happy Easter :)

Anonymous said...

Testing Mom's ability to comment...sorry! This is an old entry :)