Sunday, May 16, 2010

Diary Queen for a Day

Day: 47 (May 11)
Starting location: Laurel Creek Campsite
Ending location: Jenny Knob Shelter
Miles today: 19.0
Miles total: 595.6

Pitter, patter, pitter, patter is what we woke up to this morning. A light drizzle followed us for most of the morning. We had 7 miles until we reached US 21 which we knew would take us to Bland, VA, which we knew had a Dairy Queen. It was all the motivation we needed.

We reached the road at 10:15 and quickly got a ride into town. I don't know if you have eaten the food at DQ, but it was quite tasty. I managed to down a 4 piece chicken strip meal, a cheeseburger and a dipped ice cream cone. Jason had 3 hamburgers and a Oreo blizzard. I think this may be one of the few days that our calorie intake matches our calories burned.

I knew the terrain was fairly flat for our remaining 12 miles so I decided to go hiking pole-less. Jason and I usually hike with poles to take pressure off our knees. After the first few miles uphill, I was dying. Its amzing how much I have come to rely on my poles. Daytripper insisted that I would get a much better leg workout without the poles, but I think walking 15-20 miles a day is workout enough for me. Tomorrow I will be bring the poles back for sure.



YUM

1 comment:

Lauren said...

whew, glad to have you guys back on the blog! Dipped cones are the best!
Love, Passa