Monday, May 3, 2010

Marital Workshop 101

Day: 36 (April 30)
Starting location: Kincora Hostel
Ending location: Vandeventer Shelter
Miles today: 17.8
Miles total: 430.6

We started the day by leaving Kincora Hostel. Kincora is run by Bob Peoples who is considered as one of the most recognizable people on the trail. Rumor has it; Paul Bunyan’s axe was lent to him by Bob Peoples. I haven’t been able to verify this rumor.

We hiked the entire the entire day with Day Tripper and Thunder. We stopped at Watauga Lake for lunch which is a beautiful dark blue lake surrounded by lush green mountains. Day Tripper and Thunder jumped in to escape the upper 80 degree temperatures. Kristen and I just soaked our feet because the water was incredibly cold.

While we were hanging out by the lake, Day Tripper decided that he better get a ride into nearby Hampton to get a few things for the next couple of days. I told him that I would go along and we managed to get a ride by a middle-aged woman that was sunbathing nearby. You must remember that we are limited to 2-3 miles / hour (aka walking) and we must become very resourceful to get anywhere fast. The woman was very nice and we explained that we were hiking the AT. She was especially intrigued that I was hiking with my wife. She was certainly not the first to show great interest in our journey as husband and wife and I always find it interesting why people view it as so unusual. "You haven't tried to kill each other yet?," is a common remark. We have met many middle-aged men that expressed their absolute envy in our thru hike as a couple. "If I ever wanted a divorce all I would have to say is that I decided to thru hike the AT," one man told us. The truth is, Kristen and I love every second of being with each other. I know we are very fortunate. Hey, maybe hiking the AT for a week should become a mandatory pre-marital workshop.

PS. We would like to wish our dear friend Kristen Forbes Miner a Happy 25th Birthday. We heard about your big move to Gainesville and we can't wait to visit and meet your two baby boys!


Jason by Lake Watauga


Us by Laurel Fork Falls

1 comment:

Kristen Miner said...

You guys are awesome to wish me a happy birthday! We did move to Gator town and things are finally just about settled. I finally have time to catch up on blogs and I saw my sweet birthday wish. I had a lot of reading to do but I cannot believe you guys have hiked over 700 miles and saw a black bear. Yikes! I have two things to mail you guys but would hate for you to carry them on the trail. Maybe I will send the letters to Backwards' parents. Anyway keep on trekking! You are doing great!