Thursday, May 13, 2010

We Saw Ponies!

Day: 41 (May 5)
Starting Location: Lost Mountain Shelter
Ending Location: Wise Shelter
Miles Today: 17.3
Miles Total: 496.6

Today was another great day on the trail. We began our morning a little late, but by lunchtime, we were clicking out the miles.

When we arrived at VA 60, a ranger stopped us and explained that they were doing controlled blasts to make way for a new horse trail. That explained the loud booms we had been hearing all day. He made us wait until the next blast, before we could proceed on the trail. All the sudden the ranger shouted, "Blast 5 ready" and put on his hard hat. We were not provided with hard hats. Then we felt a rumble and heard a loud BOOM. It was cool. I was hoping he'd say something cool like--fire in the hole, but I had no such luck convincing him. Again, we were on our way.

We entered Grayson Highlands State Park which is known for its herds of wild ponies. I kept making a clicking noise to see if I could get the ponies to come out. Finally, we spotted the heard and rushed over as quickly as we could. They certainly weren't scared of us, especially when Daytripper pulled out the peanut butter. There were full grown ponies and a few babies too! It was so neat just to be among them in the wild. I named one Sea Biscuit and I picked out next years Derby winner. I think she's got a real shot.

I am starting to feel better, but my sweet husband is feeling worse. We may gave to go into Marion to pick up a remedy. Hopefully tomorrow he'll start to feel better.

Daytripper and Thunder

A video from the Grayson Highlands

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Me & kids LOVED you all with the wild ponies :)