Thursday, May 20, 2010

Rain is a Good Thing

Day: 54 (May 18)
Starting location: Bailey Gap Shelter
Ending location: Laurel Creek Shelter
Miles today: 14.6
Miles total: 664.2

I was listening to this country song today on the radio and it goes "Rain is a good thing, rain makes corn, corn makes whiskey, and whiskey makes my baby a little frisky." Well after 2 straight days of rain, I think I can do without whiskey.

Today Kristen and I didn't even bother with our rain jackets since all of our hiking clothes were already wet. Rain makes everything just a little bit harder from cooking dinner, breaking down our tent, and getting water. Rain is very common on the AT and is one of the big challenges that you face on the trail. It is important to maintain a good attitude and understand that rain it a part of the trail. Hey, we could be sitting at a cubicle.

Tonight, we are sleeping less than a mile away from this old creepy abandoned house. We have been told by a few people that this house was the inspiration behind the movie The Blair Witch Project but we are not sure if this is true. It is a two story wood house and the second story looks like it is about to collapse. On the walls and ceiling there are large black hand prints across the entire house. We know a group of hikers that were camping in the house but Kristen and I sure as hell weren't going to.




The creepy house



Notice the large black hand prints

Conan + Backwards

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Funny joke about sitting in a cubicle - I read your blog from my cubicle everyday, but hey, I'm dry :) (and super jealous!)