Thursday, May 13, 2010

Town Gravity

Day: 43 (May 7)
Starting Location: Trimpi Shelter
Ending Location: Partnership Shelter
Miles Today: 10.6
Miles Total: 527.2

Its amazing what town gravity does to a 25 year old girl. It can make her hike 10.6 miles in 3 1/2 hours. All I could think about was Walmart, McDonalds and Sonic. Yes, I know I listed 2 fast food establishments.

We arrived at Partnership Shelter just in time to catch the $.50 shuttle into Marion, VA. Its a great service for hikers--to be honest, we would have paid $5.00 for the chance to go into town and be taken exactly where we needed to go.

Our first stop was Sonic. Yum. 2 words--Cherry Limeade. SO GOOD. In addition to hamburgers, tots and onion rings, I had a corn dog. I hadn't had one since the 3rd grade and boy was it good.

Next we ventured to Walmart where we resupplied and picked up Jason's antibiotics. it was our first Walmart of the trip and it was everything I thought it would be. I think we may have some new material for Jeff Foxworthy. You may be a redneck if you sit outside Walmart and charge your phone on an outlet that used to be a vending machine. Hey--hikers do what they have to do!

Partnership Shelter is neat because its adjacent to the Mt. Rogers Visitors Center which has a phone. Therefore, once we got back from town we were able to order food delivery which was an amazing treat. Daytripper and Jason split a pizza and I enjoyed my favorite dinner entree, Chicken Parm. It was delightful, almost as good as mine! Needless to say, we went to bed with full bellies!




This was etched on our shelter. I thought it was appropriate!


Partnership Shelter

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Haha love the Jeff Foxworthy quote - I've been there before on the side of the road at a McDonalds...but I don't have the excuse of being miles away from electricity!! Keep going, you 2 :) Doing awesome!