Monday, July 26, 2010

Mouse Attack

Day: 122 (July 25)
Starting location: Glastenbury Mountain
Ending location: Stratton Pond Shelter
State: VT
Miles today: 19.0
Miles total: 1,630.7

Last night we camped next to an old firetower on top of Glastenbury Mountain. We placed our food bags on the 2nd level of the firetower with the thought that no mouse or bear would dare climb the tower to get our food. We couldn't have been more wrong. In the morning we realized that both our waterproof food bags each had two holes. Kristen's bag had holes leading to her bag of cookies and snacks. My bag had holes leading to my bag of sunflower seeds and stuffing. The stuffing was the last dinner I had left and I had no other options for food. One thing was for sure, I wasn't going to let a mouse get the best of me and make me go hungry. So I ate that stuffing just like Thanksgiving dinner. To be honest, I felt a little small and defeated to be eating the "leftovers" from a mouse. I literally was eating what the mouse didn't want.

After we laughed off our mouse mishap, we set out on the trail. In the afternoon we crossed over Stratton Mountain which was where Benton McKaye first invisioned a trail from Georgia to Maine which later became the Appalachian Trail. Vermont continues to be very muddy and it rained for the third straight day today. We are continuing to look out for moose. If we don't see a moose, our thru hike will not be a success..I'm just kidding but we really want to see a moose.




Exhibit A (Klauks v. Mouse): Holes in stuff sack and cookie bag




Wetlands are prime areas for moose. Kristen is keeping her eyes peeled. Notice the beaver lodge to the left.

Conan + Backwards

1 comment:

Jay Dub said...

I had a mouse get to a powerbar through my $400 marmot jacket once....

I feel the pain here.

I will say I am over $400 marmot jackets, though -- now I am more of a Precip or less guy.