Thursday, April 22, 2010

Extra, Extra, Read All About It

Day: 27 (April 21)
Starting location: Hemlock Hollow Farm Cabins
Ending location: Flint Mountain Shelter
Miles today: 16.0
Miles totals: 304.1

We are so glad we decided to stay in the hostel last night because it rained almost the entire night. Despite the rain, both Kristen and I loved the sound of the rain hitting the tin roof of our cabin. There is just something about that sound that puts you right to sleep. When did tin roofs fall out of favor anyway?

Kristen and I walked to the main office of the hostel around 7:30am and Hattie the owner was there to greet us. We asked her if we could please have a ride to the trailhead since it was .7 miles down the road. She told us no problem and made reference to a whistle that she had on her keychain. "Sometimes my husband gets caught up with those news programs," she said. She then proceeded to walk outside and blow the whistle 3 times. Sure enough, her husband popped right out of the adjacent house with car keys in hand. Now that is what I called a well trained husband. I told Kristen not to get any ideas.

Most of the day was spent in the fog, light rain, and upper 40 degree temperatures. We saw several grave sites today, which is something that Kristen and I hadn't seen much of. I guess people get attached to the AT and wish to have their remains there.

We did meet a new character on the trail named Islack. Islack is from Seattle, Washington and he quit his job at Microsoft to thru hike the AT. Islack is one of the 3 to 4 men that I have seen hiking in a kilt. Now before you pass judgement, there is a practical reason for this. Kilts can prevent chaffing and the most important of areas for men by getting fresh air where the sun don't shine. I am cool with it, I just don't want to be behind him on a windly day. Hey, maybe I will try it out before my AT experience is over.

Also, we would like to give a big shoutout to our friends at the Ponte Vedra Recorder who have been following our journey. Kristen and I did a 30 minute interview with Sarah Kaufman today for a feature story to be in Friday's newspaper. Everyone should make sure to get a copy.








Under the root system of a huge fallen tree

Conan + Backwards

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks for the shout out! The story looks great - will be sending you guys a pdf via email later on today!
Cheers, and happy hiking!
Sara Kaufman
Reporter, The Recorder
skaufman@jpcgroup.com
904-285-8831

Unknown said...

Hey Kristen and Jason,
What an awesome surprise to see our favorite two adventurers on the cover of The PV Recorder when it was delivered today! Great story-it's so nice to read good news! So glad you are having fun...and we love reading your blog and keeping up with you...you two are very wise to have done this as I sit at my desk another Friday afternoon after a long week. Do it while you can! Stay safe and warm and enjoy everyday you can be out there watching the sun rise and set. Not many people get that chance..enjoy it!
Miss you both-
Lisa

peggy said...

The article is great. Takes up the whole front page. I sent the 4 packages yesterday to Damascus. We miss you. Had a great time with you.
love mom and dad

mary caroline said...

Thats so cool PVR did an article on your adventure!! I'd love to see a copy :) xoxo