Monday, April 19, 2010

R & R

Day: 24 (April 18)
Starting location: Hot Springs, NC
Ending location: Hot Springs, NC
Miles today: 0
Miles total: 271.8

I love that our journey has brought us to Hot Springs. One of my favorite parts of hiking this trail is getting to discover little towns along the way. And friends, Hot Springs sure is little. But, it's charming, quiet and comes straight out of the pages of Southern Living. Everything in this town has a history and I just love that.

Our day began with a lovely southern breakfast from the Mountain Magnolia Inn. It was a hikers dream because we could go back for seconds and thirds, not that I did ( wink, wink).

Then we mosied on over to the much talked about Hot Springs Spa where Jason and I made an appointment for a couples massage. After walking 275 miles, it was the best massage I had ever had, and I've had some pretty posh treatments in my former life. It was Jasons first massage but I doubt it will be his last as it left him feeling great. Next came our soak in the famous Hot Springs Mineral tubs. Our tub, # 6, was a deluxe four person tub that overlooked this quiet stream. Jason, Mother, Pops and I all soaked for an hour and enjoyed great conversation and scenery. I have to admit I was a little skeptical about a public hot tub, but after seeing how clean they are kept and soaking in the warm water, I am glad we went. It really was rejuvenating, especially for us hikers.

In the late afternoon we took a trip to find where the old Jesuit Retreat house was. Little did Jason and I know that his uncle Frank came to Hot Springs years ago while trying to determine his vocation. During his months at the Jesuit Residence, he looked after hikers as the Jesuits operated a hiker hostel on the property. The compound itself was lovely with beautiful views of the nearby mountains. I would think that during the time Uncle Frank was there, the place must have been hopping with hikers because it is located literally steps from the AT. Jason and I walked right past it as we stepped out of the woods on Saturday. However, I am very glad that we went back and explored the grounds that were so important to Jason's Uncle Frank.

It was a great day of resting our bodies and spending time with our family. I am looking forward to doing the same thing tomorrow!!





Jason and I soaking in the mineral tub.




Me infront of the chapel at the Jesuit Retreat.





Lounging in the hammock at the Mountain Magnolia Inn.

Conan + Backwards

3 comments:

peggy said...

loved our time with you in Hot Springs. You both look great and seem so happy. Enjoyed meeting many of your fellow hikers.
mom and dad

Carolyn said...

YAY! So jealous of the massage and hot tub! I'm in the middle of finals and that sounds so fab right now! Glad ya'll got a chance to relax! Miss you so!

Hope said...

Ya'll are so cute! So happy you have had this time for rest and relaxation. I love reading your entries. Thanks for being such faithful bloggers!!