Sunday, April 4, 2010

Happy Easter!

Day: 10 (April 4)
Starting location: Muskrat Shelter
Ending location: Carter Gap Shelter
Miles today: 12.5
Miles total: 91.8

Happy Easter everyone! We hope everyone has had a nice day with the people they care about. Our day started around 9:00. Since we were so beat from yesterday we slept in a little later and wound up getting about 12 hours of sleep.

They day was beautiful and our first few miles came easy. It's funny how you can go from having one of your worst days on the trail to having one of your best days. Yesterday was eaisly my toughest day. You have to take each day for what it is out here.

As we descended into Deep Gap we noticed tents and music. Yes folks, Trail Magic!! It was the 19th annual Easter Feast and we were happy to obliblige the trail angels by filling up on there many treats. I bet you didn't think you could get cooked to order omlets in the middle of the woods. Well we sure did along with hashbrown casserole, biscuits and sausage patties. They even made us sandwhiches to take with us for lunch. It was amazing to be fed like that on Easter Sunday. We were so thankful!

While we were enjoying our trail magic I mentioned that didn't have a trail name as of yet. The a gels said they'd work on it. We all got to talking and I brought up the fact that NC gave a bad first impression with a steep uphill climb just past the border. I told them that at one point I was so frustrated with going uphill that I started walking backwards so I wouldn't have to see how much longer I had to keep going up. Everyone started laughing and they coined me "Ass Backward" for a trail name, AB for short. It's okay I guess, I think I may just go with Backwards or Backstep. What do you think?

They rest of the day was great. We had an awesome view from the top of Standing Indian Mountain. Now here we our, at camp resting our tired dogs (feet).

Goodnight friends and Happy Easter again!



Yay for Trail Magic!




On top of Standing Indian Mt.

Conan + Backwards

2 comments:

Saundra Gamble said...

Hey you two, am so proud of you both.....love reading your blogs every day. Keep up the good work and remember how many people love you both.....S&E

mary caroline said...

dearest Conan and AB, Happy Easter! It sounds like you had a wonderful day! You all have almost made the 100 mile mark...way to go! xoxo