Sunday, April 18, 2010

Mr. Max Patch


Day: 22 (April 16)
Starting location: Standing Bear Farm
Ending location: Max Patch
Miles today: 14.1
Miles total: 252.5


It was so hard to leave Standing Bear Farm, but we finally did after having a Jimmy Dean breakfast sandwhich. Those things are the best.

Our hike started off going uphill and it stayed that way for the next five miles. It was tough going. Jason and I have been surprised at the lack of wildlife we've seen. We thought we would see all kinds of neat animals. But to be honest we haven't seen much at all. Maybe we hike too loud. Well as I was slowly trudging uphill, Jason all the sudden shouts, "did you see that"? I thought he had finally gotten a glance at majestic trail animal. Apparently I had almost stepped on a gardener snake!!! Thank goodness I didn't see it or I may have lost it. Snakes are one thing I just can't stand. Needless to say, I started walking a lot faster.

Our day ended at the much talked about Max Patch. Max Patch is a mountain that has no trees on top and 360 degree views. They keep it grassy by controlled burns. I can't describe how beautiful it is. We set up camp just beyond the summit and headed back up for the sunset. It was so windy but amazing. It is by far my favorite place on the trail thus far. Just as the sun was setting our friends Snickers and Daytripper showed up. We hadn't seen them since the NOC, so it was nice to see some familar faces.





Me on Max Patch



Jason and I watching the sunset


Conan + Backwards

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Postcard perfect!!!!

Carolyn said...

Love love love the sunset picture!

Anonymous said...

Does this happen to be near Black Balsom? That's also an open mountain with 360 degree views - the sunset is incredible!!! It's somewhere around the NC/TN border, and I think the AT goes over it :)