Saturday, April 24, 2010

I Could Be an Author

Day: 29 (April 23)
Starting location: Low Gap
Ending location: No Business Shelter
Miles today: 14.6
Miles total: 333.6

We woke up to the rain at 2:30am, but went back to sleep with a good piece of mind that our tent would hold up. The rain stopped around 6:30am without a single drop of water making it into our tent. Kristen and I have really grown to love our tent and it truly feels like our home away from home.

It turned out to be a beautiful day despite the threat of potential afternoon thunder storms. Oh, how nice it is to be able to look up weather reports on your phone. We have an easy six miles into Erwin, TN tomorrow where we will resupply on food. Looking forward to some real food...there is actually an all you can eat pizza place in town. Anyone that decides to put an all you can eat place off the AT is truly crazy with all the hungry hikers that come through.

It occured to me today that we have already surpassed Bill Bryson's miles on the AT. Bill Bryson is a best selling author and wrote the book "The Walk In the Woods." The book chronicles Bill's attempt of thru hiking the AT and it was required summer reading for us back in high school. As you may remember, Bill took a taxi from Gatlinburg, TN and skipped ahead to the Shenandoah Mountains in Virginia where he got off the trail. I find it interesting that Bill became famous for writing a book about the AT but only hiked a fraction of the trail.



On top of Big Bald


Conan + Backwards

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

reading your blog has become my favorite part of the day! Thanks for the good reads...

-Jennifer Boykin

Unknown said...

"I went to the woods because I wished to live deliberately, to front only the essential facts of life, and see if I could not learn what it had to teach, and not, when I came to die, discover that I had not lived."
-Henry David Thoreau, Walden, 1854

Carolyn said...

I'm in the library studying...You're in the mountains. I'm seriously considering quiting law school and meeting up with ya'll on the trail. Katie Ashley and I figure if we fake our deaths then we won't have to pay back our loans anyway, ha! Love to you both! Thanks for being the most exciting part of my day- seriously :) Also I need your email address and the location of your next maildrop pretty please!

Anonymous said...

Jason and Whizzy (Backwards),

Congrats to you both for your journey! I just found out about it today, but have taken the past hour catching up beginning at the start of your blog!

Is it possible to get the address for your next maildrop? As of tomorrow Brian and I will no longer be newlyweds either, so from one "no longer newlywed" to another "no longer newlywed" I will need to send you a care package!

So proud of you guys!

Love, Brian and Erika Brennan (Mascot)