Wednesday, April 21, 2010

I Hate Goodbyes...

Day: 26 (April 20)
Starting location: Hot Springs, NC
Ending location: Hemlock Hollow Farm
Miles today: 16.3
Miles total: 288.1


The day we leave town is always a tough one for me on the trail. Today was especially difficult beacuse we not only left town, but we left Jasons parents. We had such a lovely visit in Hot Springs with Mother and Pops. From the home cooked meals from Pops, to getting to wear my favorite pink robe that mother brought from home, it was so delightful. I know we both enjoyed every minute of our time with them. Thank you again for everything Mother and Pops!

About two hours after we left town it started to rain and get cold. That made my tough day even tougher. When we reached our intended shelter, it was tiny and packed with hikers. We called a hostel five more miles down the trail to make sure they had room for us, then proceeded onward. I got a little hop in my step knowing we had a dry place to sleep. When we got to the Hemlock Hollow Farm we were told the bunkroom was full but a cabin had been saved for us. As I write this post in the cabin I feel like I am straight off of Little House on the Prarie. It really is cute and quaint.

On a really exciting note I discovered today that our packs have built in whistles on the chest strap. How cool is that? Function is beauty friends!



Leaving town




Birds eye view of Hot Springs

Conan + Backwards

2 comments:

mary caroline said...

aww. goodbyes are never fun but it sounds like you had a wonderful time with the Klauks! Hot Springs sounds like such a cool little town. Now, onward and upward....love you both!

Anonymous said...

Glad you had fun with the Klauks--I gave your Mom a big hug for you today! Showing Mom how to comment on the blog :) Miss you guys! Love, Lauren and Robin