Wednesday, April 7, 2010

Trail purist

Day: 12 (April 6)
Starting location: Rock Gap Shelter
Ending location: Wayah Shelter
Miles today: 14.8
Miles total: 118.7


Our day began as usual at 8:30 am. We took a shortcut to get to the shelter last night but when we left this morning Jason made us go back and pass the white blazes we would have missed. That's what we call a purist out here on the AT. I am glad he made us go back.

We clicked the miles out this morning and had a late lunch with Buzz at a picnic area. The afternoon was tough with more uphills than downhills and the hot sun. At one point I put my new trailname to use and walked uphill backwards. We did pass a really neat old stone fire tower. My only complaint is that there wasn't a cooler of beer waiting at the top.

We met back up with Zoe, Snickers and Daytripper tonight at the shelter. We are going to sleep in the shelter tonight so please wish us luck with the mice. I am going to wear my bugnet over my face just in case.

Night night!!!




Jason and I on top of the fire tower.



The fire tower on top of Wayah Bald

Conan + Backward

1 comment:

Jay Dub said...

I slept inside that tower once. the bottom part. it was to avoid a torrential (exaggeration) downpour.

Unfortunately by the morning, the tower was about 2" deep in water.

So... FAIL. :D

Also filtered water out of a parking lot runoff that trip. Probably two of not-the-best ideas...