Thursday, June 3, 2010

Cranking Out the Miles

Day: 69 (June 2)
Starting location: Hightop Hut
Ending location: Big Meadows Campground
Miles today: 20.9
Miles total: 915.4

Today we hit another milagestone! 900 miles! That sounds like an incredible number to us, I can't believe that our feet have carried us that far. We are both feeling strong and fit, it's great!

The Shenandoahs may not have great views for us to take in, but it sure does have it share of wildlife. As we were hiking this morning we came across a big, very big timber rattlesnake alongside the trail. You will have to ask Jason the details beacuse I didn't even want to look at him as I ran past on the far opposite side of the trail. Snakes scare the daylights out of me. All I know is that he was big and had a rattle. That's all I need to know to stay away.

As much as we aren't a fan of the Shenandoahs, we are a fan of all the camp stores and waysides that serve food. We hit one for lunch and it was great. For dinner tonight we had a nice meal at the Big Meadows Lodge. It is by far the nicest dining establishment we've had the pleasure of eating at. We enjoyed our dinner of steak and meatloaf with our friends Alcaline and Redhat. Once we were finished, Redhat picked up the entire bill. Talk about trail magic!




Yikes! A timber rattlesnake!




Lunch outside a camp store.

Conan + Backwards

3 comments:

Erika said...

I'm scared to death of snakes...like I didn't even want to look at that picture. I would have frozen in complete panic.

Unknown said...

Ahhh that snake is huge! I would have freaked! Apparently when I was little I picked up a dead one outside and brought it to Mom thinking it was a shoe lace, oops!
Keep it up!! 900 miles, wow. Wish I could be there to celebrate this weekend! Love, Passa

Unknown said...

Yikes! Jacob thought snake was cool but is really interested to hear more about your bear sighting! We love Big Meadows, beautiful view at sunset from the back porch. Rainbow trout is always awesome for dinner there but the blackberry ice cream is the best!