Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Mr. Blindside

Day: 81 (June 14)
Starting location: Deer Lick Shelter
Ending location: Birch Run Shelter
State: PA
Miles today: 23.2
Miles total: 1,082.9

Our first morning in PA began early. At our first road crossing, we ran into two thru hikers that we had not met, Bulldog and Hitchcock. Bulldog is blind and Hitchcock is filming his journey. We had heard of these two from an article that both Mrs. Klauk and my cousin Lauren had emailed us. I can't imagine how difficult it must be for him. I know it's hard enough for me, and I have perfectly good eyesight, well not perfectly good. Next time I go to complain about something on the trail, I will think about Bulldog and quit my whinning.

As lunchtime approached we just happened to be near Caledonia State Park, which just happens to have a snack bar. They had fountain soda-which is so much better than cans- and free refills for hikers! We soon found out that a local pizza joint will deliver to the park. A large sausage, pepperoni and mushroom pizza was eaten within a very short amount of time. It was a great lunch but it made our last 10 miles a bit tougher.

Conan + Backwards

No comments: