Tuesday, June 15, 2010

Halfway!!!

Day: 82 (June 15)
Starting location: Birch Run Shelter
Ending location: James Fry Shelter
State: PA
Miles today: 17.1
Miles total: 1,100.0

Today we offically crossed the halfway point of the Appalachian Trail at 1,089.6 miles. It is hard to believe that we have actually traveled this distance by foot. It was also a little bitter sweet to think that our journey will be finished in less than 3 months from now.

After the halfway point it is tradition for thru hikers to take part in the "Half Gallon Challenge" at the Pine Grove General Store. The challenge is to consume an entire half gallon of ice cream of the flavor of your choice. Kristen and I were eager to take part in the challenge but were a little skeptical about how hard it could actually be. Man were we wrong. After about 10 minutes of digging in, we were both freezing cold and regreting our decision to take part. With a little determination, I completed the challenge with a time of 31 mintues and 21 seconds which was 2nd place to Landfills's 21 minutes. Kristen on the other hand was a little smarter than me and called it quits with only a quarter of her gallon eaten. I told her I still I loved her.




Halfway!!!




We visited the AT museum next to the Pine Grove General Store. It just recently opened




I had cherry jubilee and Kristen had chocolate




All Done

Conan + Backwards

5 comments:

Katie Ashley said...

YAAAYYY!!!!! congrats you guys!!!!!! I'm so proud of you!!!!

jason, i don't know if i'm more proud of you walking 1000 miles or finishing a half gallon of ice cream.

Carolyn said...

Woo hooo! Half way there! So proud of y'all! I can't believe it! Miss you tons.

Ps- KB, good choice on the chocolate :)

Heather said...

Yahoo!!!!!!!!! HALF WAY! This is big news ... so exciting!

mary caroline said...

Congratulations!!! Wow. I can't believe you're almost done. Loved the ice cream challenge. Go Conan!
xoxo

Lauren said...

I think my first comment got lost in blog world! CONGRATS on making it half way!!! Keep it up! Jason, I am impressed on the ice cream but of all flavors, you were able to finish cherry jubilee?? Miss you guys!